My Blog List

Friday, June 24, 2011

NO! Say it ain't so!

Filled my dishwasher yesterday, added the detergent, turned it on...and then it came...nothing. No light...no sound...no swooshing of water. NOOOOO!!!!! Sheer panic ran through my entire body...the thought...the picture...myself standing there...dare I say it...WASHING DISHES BY HAND! This is not happening...breath shortening...chest pounding...heart sinking.

Call me a spoiled brat if you will, but 6 people's worth of dishes everyday...needing washed...a broken dishwasher...worst nightmare! Now if my washing machine broke down there's laundry mats, but when a dishwasher breaks down there's no dishwasher mats. Then, another thought of terror hit me. I'm now going to have to unload it and wash every single dirty dish in the stupid thing. Walls closing in...floor falling out from under me...life as I know it falling apart!

Ok, enough flair for the drama. This sucks and worse case senerio is I'll have to save up for a new one and then just take it with us when we move from here. My hubby is even handy so maybe he will be able to figure it out before getting to that point.

When we first moved in here it was coming from a place where I had a portable dishwasher that for the last 1-2 years we lived there didn't work and was just used as extended counter space. Longest 1-2 years of my life! I was so excited when I saw this place had a built in. Every single time in the 2 years we've lived here and I've gone to run it, I've said a little prayer, "God, keep my precious dishwasher working, You know what it means to me." Silly as it may be it's been one of my biggest fears about living here, because we don't own the place or the dishwasher and our Landlord is less then ambitious, shall we say, concerning things needing done with his rentals.

In the short years I've been on this earth I've learned to, expect the unexpected, that nothing...I mean...nothing lasts forever (which in some cases is a good thing), and one of the biggest...you do what you have to do.

One last thought...yes it's going to be a royal pain not having my dishwasher...BUT...I have two older children who can reach the sink! HA, problem solved.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it just needs to be reset. I feel your pain! When the microwave died two years ago I didn't care and I never replaced it. I don't want one. When My washer had a fit last year, I washed clothes in my bathtub until hubby could fix the machine. I had no problem. But when the dishwsher went--- I was so upset, I had a new one with in two weeks because I absolutely hate washing dishes. I would rather use paper plates and kill trees than have to wash dishes. I think it's some kind of childhood trauma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly pile up quick. Having one is really a good time saver. I remember when I first got one...what used to take me 45 minutes took me 15 with the dishwasher. It makes a more productive work environment :)

    ReplyDelete