My Blog List

Friday, March 25, 2011

It's Not Creepy...Just Sentimental

I posted the other day how I gave all the kids haircuts. After each haircut I swept the hair into a pile til I was done. Jer was the last to get his cut, so his hair was on top of the pile. Now I don't cut his hair very often and I like to keep it a little longer. His hair likes to curl and have waves that are just so cute. The next morning I walked by the garbage can and saw his half circle curls on top. This made my heart melt. I picked some of them up and held them in the palm of my hand and thought how beautiful his little curls were. It didn't seem right to throw them away. I thought to myself, "what could I do with them?". Save them and make a sweater? Nay. Use them to make a Jer down pillow? Nay. I couldn't think of anything. I mean every time I cut his hair I could save it and put it in a large baggie, but then he would grow up and be like, "Mom, why do I have a big bag of hair attached to my baby book?". Back in the garbage those beautiful curls went. I just couldn't think of anything that wouldn't seem creepy.

My two older kids have been losing teeth left and right as of late. When they loose a tooth they put it in a snack sized baggie and put it under their pillows for the tooth fairy. Now I cleaned my kitchen good the other day and on top of the fridge was several of these baggies of teeth. I even had others stashed out of sight in other places too. I said to Jim, "what should we do with all these teeth?". Again....didn't seem right to just throw them away. I said, " I know, I'll go get a small decorative bottle with a cork and display them next to their pictures!". Jim responded by saying, " you want to display a bottle of human teeth? Creepy." It's not creepy...just sentimental.

After each of my kids were born and their umbilical cords fell off, I wanted to save them and put them in their baby books. Jim would never let me. He said it was creepy and gross. Again, No...it's not creepy...just sentimental.

I guess I come by it honestly. Shortly after I moved away from home my Mom sent me a letter. We had a cat then named Buddy. He had gotten his paw hurt in a fight or something and eventually the whole claw fell off once it healed. In that letter my Mom sent his claw laminated with boxing tape on a piece of card stock. Not creepy...just sentimental. I also had a parakeet that I left at home when I moved away. A while later the poor thing finally died. We had had it for a while and it was old. They don't live but maybe 6-7 years. When it died my Mom wrapped it... ever so gently... in tissue paper, placed it in a check book box, and put it in her deep freezer. She wanted me to be able to see it and say goodbye. Not creepy...just sentimental. (sorry Mom, not even you're safe from my blog)

My oldest when he was about 2-3 fell and hit his head on the edge of a computer desk at his Grandma's house. It left a big cut on his forehead and had to go get stitches. Now when it came time for them to come out...the doctor put them between two pieces of tape and gave them to me. Without me even having to ask to keep them! He just automatically did it. Apparently I'm not the only freak in the world who likes to save weird stuff. So that was something I actually got to keep that my husband didn't dry heave about and tell me no. Let me hear you say it........Not creepy...just sentimental.  That's right!  Amen.


                                                                         Before

                                                                            After

                                                                             Before

                                                                            After

                                                                          Before

                                                                            After

Evie doesn't look any different cause I just evened up her ends.


Now this is creepy





3 comments:

  1. Hey you did a great job with their hair! I can use an electric trimmer and that is about it.
    I am not sentimental. My Hubby wants me to keep everything of the kids and I pitch it out the door. I figure there are four of them they bring home a bunch of stuff! So our compromise was that they each get a tote for their stuff. If they love it and want to keep it, that's where it goes. But if they fill the box thy are out of luck.
    Now I do keep cards they make me, stories they write and report cards. That goes in my tote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you and Jim keel over, your kids could get you stuffed and put you in the sitting room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would only want that if I died while still being young and pretty. Otherwise two old and dead stuffed people would be creepy!

    ReplyDelete