My Blog List

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our Little Snack Cake

I usually write about my youngest daughter Evie, but today I'm going to write about my oldest daughter who at times gets over looked.

Last night when Jim and I went to bed we laid down and as soon as our heads hit our pillows we heard a crinkling sound. We were like what is under our pillows? We lifted up our pillows to discover we each had a present from our Little Debbie wrapped in notebook paper and said To Mommy/To Daddy - Happy Easter. We were both like awh...that's sweet. We opened them and she gave her Dad a chocolate bunny and me a thing of peeps. Remember how yesterday I said she won a special Easter basket full of goodies at the egg hunt Saturday? Well, that's where she got them and she then gave them to us as presents. It's even sweeter knowing that she gave me the peeps and her Dad the chocolate because she knows her Dad doesn't like peeps. Let's all say it together....Awhhhhhhhh.

Sometimes things around here aren't always fair for Deb. She may be two years younger then Logan but she is much more responsible. When ever I need something done I'm more inclined to ask her not Logan. I know if I ask her it will usually get done and done right.

Last night after home work time I was going to have the kids clean up the livingroom. Logan got done with his before her so I had him and Jer start the cleaning up. All they wanted to do is play, fight, and doddle. Deb for some reason had four pages of home work to do and when she finally got done she started cleaning up. She got more done in 5 minutes then the boys did in 1/2 an hour. Finally I gave the boys the punishment of going to bed an hour early for not doing what they were told. They asked if they could have icecream for a bedtime snack and I of course said no. Part of the punishment. I had Deb get in the shower and when she was done I gave her a big bowl of it. Jer and Logan came out to get a drink and saw her big bowl of cold creamy goodness. Logan surprisingly took it well, but Jer got rather miffed about it. Oh well, maybe next time I give them a chore to do they'll get'r done.

I wish there was a magical maturity pill I could give to Logan. I know he is only ten, but even for a ten year old he's rather immature. I've been trying to incorporate putting more responsibility into Logan's daily routine. Expecting him to listen right away to direction and do what he needs to do in a timely fashion is like expecting a monkey not to throw it's own poo. Just like Evie, Logan's road to maturity is going to be a long one. I want to get Dr. Dobson's book called Bringing Up Boys. His other book has been helpful and I'm sure this one would be the same. Sometimes I just don't understand the male species at any age. They are such simple creatures it's almost confusing. He can't wait to go hunting with his Pap. Hunting is something else I don't understand. I can understand hunting to provide food for your family, but the desire to just go out and kill something for the sake of killing it and hanging part of it's dead carcass on your wall boggles my mind a bit. But that's a whole other post entirely, and yes I do understand the importance of population control concerning deer.

Back to my point. Deb is my sweet and thoughtful child who I am blessed to have. I am blessed to have all of them, but she makes the journey of motherhood a little extra sweet at times. She's our Debbie Doodle.





3 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart! I have heard good things about the books about raising boys. Not sure it was the same author but apparently they have been very helpful to a lady at work. I am going to need it myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all Moms could use a little understanding and information concerning the psyche of male youngsters. Dads usually get it and understand while we get frustrated as to why they don't act like their sisters.

    As for your little one and soon to be little one...let's hope they take after you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes here is hoping!!! :-)
    So far Ollie has my sense of fun and goofiness with Bryan's need to understand all things technical. He is a real sweetie but I am not sure when the boy genes really kick in.....
    Still hope to have a little girl one day but you never know what you going to get personality wise!

    ReplyDelete