My Blog List

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wonderful Distraction

Yesterday was Saturday and Jim of course was working all day, and for some reason I got it in my head to clean the whole house in one day. All four kids here...Jim at work...clean the whole house? What was I thinking! It was horrible! Logan was having a friend over to play the next day (which was today) and I told him that they had to get their room clean in order for his friend to come over. Before I called to invite him I made Logan promise me that he would get it done otherwise no friend over. They were back there all day. I have no idea what they were doing cause when I would check on them their room looked no better...their stuff was just moved around. Let's just say I went to bed last night with a sore throat from all the yelling and carrying on I did. Finally I gave up on their room getting done that day and told them to at least get their bathroom tidied and the hallway picked up. I decided I could just shut their bedroom door and keep it off limits while his friend was here.

I gave in to letting his friend come over after church because I didn't want to disappoint them or his friend. In this case I'm glad I did give in. It was one of the best days with all the kids home while Jim's working I've had in a long time. We all came home from church, had lunch, and when Evie laid down for a nap they went outside to play. They went to the little stream, that's only about ankle deep, to see if they could catch anything. The only thing they found was a dead fish (that they performed surgery on with sticks) and a bag of moldy cheese laying on the bank. Don't ask me where the cheese came from...haven't a clue. After Evie woke up from nap I made hot dogs and packed them up with some juice, cups, and Cheetos. We went to the park to have a picnic and play. It was wonderful! We were there for about an hour and a half. Logan, Deb and their friend went up a huge hill in back of the park which later I discovered was a sign that said trespassers will be prosecuted.! Whew, we didn't get caught. Logan came running down the hill as fast as he could and pulled a Carry Ingalls. He went down face first and then flipped over. He said he heard his neck crack. Ouch! Guess I'll be making an appointment at the chiropractors this week.

While we were still at the park his friend said something and Logan thought it was a bad word (which it wasn't of course). So Logan says to him, "did you just say God d@^# it?" He said those actual words to his friend (who happens to be our pastor and his wife's son!) when he asked if he had said it. I was mortified at what I heard come out of his mouth. Now, on Logan's behalf we have told him he can say a bad word TO US when he's not sure about whether it's a bad word or not. Logan's response to me when I yelled at him was that he was just "asking" the word. I said you ask us not another kid! I made him apologize to his friend and told his Mom what happened which gave her a chuckle. Whew! I'm good friends with his Mom and am so glad that they are very real people and not easily offended. Love ya girl!

After the park I took them all to see a military tank that sits in Avis. I've been wanting to take them there for a while and take their pictures sitting on it. There wasn't a sign saying don't sit or climb on tank, but I hurried just in case. Evie didn't much like sitting on it cause it was high up, but everybody else thought it was cool. The two older boys stood on top and saluted.

After that we went to Dairy Queen for a small cone and rode around until everyone was finished. By that time it was 7:00 pm and had to take his friend home. Having a friend over to play was a good distraction for the kids and there was no fighting, yelling and screaming at each other, it was great. While they played outside I even got a little more work done in the house. I honestly think that a lot of the problem with the kids getting into trouble and fighting has to do with being bored. One of the things I learned while working at a daycare where I had 8 three year olds in my class was to direct and redirect. When they are left to their own devices is when trouble comes. Now that Jim is working a job where he's gone so much I need to have a game plan going into days where they are all home. Activities planned...chore time and jobs planned...just plan structure!

Next weekend Jim has off and the kids will be staying the night Friday at their Nan and Pap's, but the weekend after that it will be all me with the kids again. I wonder who's kids I can abduct that weekend? Do I have any takers? Huh, Anybody?.......Please!












1 comment:

  1. Great pics!!! I'll make sure to show my boy...he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete