My Blog List

Monday, May 2, 2011

Country Living

I really like living more in the country. We loved it when we lived here in Pine Creek a few years back and was sad to leave it behind. Now we're back...grant it it's a trailer court in the country but still it's better then when we lived in a run down house in town.

One of the perks about being in the country is being able to burn garbage. About 3/4's of our garbage is burnable and since getting a barrel usually each week we don't even fill the garbage can. Grenobles disposal comes each week to empty barely half a can.

Today while I was out burning garbage I saw something on the hill behind the trailer. It was black and as I got closer I discovered it was a snake. It didn't bother me too bad cause I heard that black snakes kill copperheads. Copperheads freak me out because the old place we lived in out here was right beside the creek and there was plenty of them. I started to have nightmares about snakes then and still do sometimes. I know there are even rattlers out here too.

I called Jim and the kids to come look at it. Logan wanted to keep it as a pet of course. Evie didn't mind as long as she wasn't too close to it. Come to find out after the kids went inside Jim grabbed it's tale cause he said he wanted to "mess" with it and it was stiff. It had a kink in it's body from something having gotten a hold of it. The dog was out earlier and might have "played" with it. I felt kind of bad for it. It was laying in a normal position for a snake and it must have just laid there until it died from it's injuries.

We cremated it in the burner barrel since it was still hot. After having to watch out for copperheads black snakes seem rather tame to me now. I worked on a farm when I was younger and in the barn there was a 3-4 foot black snake named Sneaky Pete that you would see slithering up the walls inside the barn now and again. I wonder if old Sneaky Pete is still around.


It looked alive

It eyes were still open

2 comments:

  1. love snakes. Isaiah brings them home all the time in the summer. But I am used to them because my brother raised red tailed boas for years. Now Spiders, that's a whole differnt story. I don't care how small they are I hate them and they know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way with spiders. Last summer Jim found one outside the size of the palm of his hand. He caught it and put it in an empty pretzel jug. Even though it was securely contained whenever I would look at it I would get all queasy. He put it in the freezer cause some bugs will freeze and then come back to life when they thaw. Not in the case of the spider apparently. It's legs curled up from freezing to death. Muawh ah ah ah. Didn't feel bad at all. In fact I felt quite a sense of accomplishment ridding the world of such a hideous creature. It's actual weird cause Charlotte's Web would make me cry as a kid. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete